- Wings tinted amber.
- Labrum green, top of head black.
- Thorax dorsum black, sides greenish-brown.
- Abdomen red-orange.
- Lower appendage longer than upper and pointed.
- Top of head and thorax black.
- Abdomen dull orange.
- Elongate prothoracic horns.
Body length: 40.0-45.0
Local distribution: Atlantic slope at 700 - 1600 m; Pacific slope at 1450 - 1600 m.
Habitat: Temporary and permanent ponds, marshy spring seeps.
Species range in Middle America: Costa Rica, South America
Male abdomen length: 30
Female abdomen length: 36
Female hindwing length: 25
Updated: 10 August 2010