- An herbaceous perennial, 3-18 inches tall. Grows from a basal rosettes of leaves.
- leaves exude a milky latex when damaged.
- Flowers are borne on hollow stems that exude a milky latex when broken.
- Yellow flowers with many petals.
- spherical "puffball" of fluffy white structures, each attached to a thin brown achene
- lawns and grassy areas
- disturbed sites
Key ID Features:
- milky latex
- puffball of wind-dispersed seeds
- Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) is similar but has a much denser, fluffier seedhead.
- On Nantucket, this species is a roadside weed and weed of disturbed habitats. Not typically found in natural areas.
Growth Form: Herb
Origin: Origin unclear
Level of Invasiveness for Nantucket: Do not list at this time
Level of Invasiveness for Massachusetts: Not evaluated
Massachusetts Cultivation Restrictions: no