- Sweet autumn virginsbower, leatherleaf clematis
- Clematis dioscoreifolia, C. maximowicziana, C. paniculata
- A scrambling vine with thin stems
- ovate, frequently lobed
- white coloration along midvein
- White, fragrant, four-petaled flowers on multi-stemmed clusters from leaf axils.
- typically 1-4 fruits per stalk, a red, flat achene topped with a showy, feathery "flag"
- wind-dispersed seeds, stems
Key ID Features:
- white, four-petaled, fragrant flowers
- climbing habit
- Leaves resemble other Clematis species.
- Widespread on Nantucket, both in gardens and in the wild
Growth Form: Vine
Level of Invasiveness for Nantucket: Likely Invasive
Level of Invasiveness for Massachusetts: Not evaluated
Massachusetts Cultivation Restrictions: no