- Leaves simple, alternate, entire, spiraled.
- Without stipules.
- Twig bark extremely stringy.
- Green odor in trunk bark.
- Small, pale green flowers with 4 lobes and 8 orange stamens.
- Fruit a white, 1-seeded berry.
Diagnosis: One tree species with simple, alternate, entire, spiraled leaves, without stipules, bark stringy, legume odor in trunk.
Local distribution: From about 900 m on the Pacific slope into cloud forest up to 1600 m.
|Solanaceae||: lateral veins distinct, bark not stringy, rank odor, often with leaves paired at a node.
|Theaceae||: bark not strong, lacks legume odor.
Diversity: Total: 1 genus, 1 species. Trees: 1 genus, 1 species.
Comments: Strips of bark have been used tradicionally for tying bundles.