- Leaves simple, opposite, entire or serrate.
- Lateral veins parallel leaf margin and extend to tip of blade, short parallel tertiary cross veins.
- Without stipules.
- Flowers white to pink or red with free petals, stamens with complicated shapes.
- Fruit mostly juicy berries with many tiny seeds.
- Dehiscent capsules with tiny winged seeds in some shrubs.
Diagnosis: Herbs, shrubs, trees, climbers, epiphytes, withour stipules, leaves simple, opposite, 3- or palmately veined, the veins reach the leaf apex, numerous short parallel cross-veins.
|Asteraceae||: without parallel cross veins perpendicular to midvein.
|Urticaceae||: basal lateral veins do not reach leaf tip.
Diversity: Total: 21 genera, 95 species. Trees: 8 genera, 33 species.