- Leaves simple, alternate, serrate or crenate, with short petioles, spiraled.
- Without stipules.
- Coarse simple hairs, some stellate hairs usually also present.
- Simpodial growth pattern.
- Small white flowers in elongate spikes with 5 free petals, 10 yellow forked stamens.
- Fruit a 3-lobed capsule with minute winged seeds.
Diagnosis: Trees of secondary forest and gaps, without stipules, leaves simple, alternate, spiraled, usually serrate, often bunched at twig tips, petioles short (to 2 cm), often with coarse pubescence including both simple and stellate hairs, often with the leaf base folded under, secondary veins usually straight and parallel.
|Actinidiaceae||: petioles longer, with mucilage, margin with alternating teeth of two sizes, no stellate hairs.
|Betulaceae||: with stipules, nearly glabrous.
Diversity: Total: 1 genus, 3 species. Trees: Total: 1 genus, 3 species.