- Leaves simple, alternate, entire, distichous, without stipules.
- Meager white latex in petiole, petioles curved upward.
- Weak ridges on side of twig.
- Small, white flowers in leaf axils.
- Fruit a black 1-seeded berry with red, plate-shaped large calyx.
Diagnosis: Understory treelet with simple, alternate, entire, distichous leaves, lacking stipules, fine ridges on side of twig, petiole curved upward and often with meager white latex.
Local distribution: Upper pacific slope from about 1200 to 1500 m, but not found in cloud forest.
Diversity: Total: 1 genus, 1 species. Trees: 1 genus, 1 species.
Comments: The expanded red, plate-shaped calyx supporting a round black berry is the most distinctive feature of this small understory treelet. It is usually a job to find the latex. Called "berry on a platter" by local biologists. A second species occurs just outside our area on the Atlantic slope.